At DRiiBE, we believe that domestic violence is still an underrated problem. The numbers prove it.
• 1 in 3 women globally experienced intimate partner violence.
• 137 women are killed by a member of their family every day.
• between 133 and 275 million children are exposed to domestic violence each year.
• less than 40% of the victims report the agressor.
• 1 person dies every 2 weeks from domestic violence; an average of 25 people per year, including 4 children;
• 1 killing attempt is made every week (an average of 50 people per year);
• Victims of attempted and committed homicides in the years 2009-2018 were: 471 women (62.6%), 191 men (25.4%) and 90 children (12%).
• On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
• 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence (e.g. beating, burning, strangling) by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
• Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner .
• The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
• 16% (about 1 in 6) of homicide victims are killed by an intimate partner.
• 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these murder suicides are female.
• 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.
• Nearly 1,770 children died of abuse and neglect in 2018.
• 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States has been raped in their lifetime.
• 19.3 million women and 5.1 million men in the United States have been stalked in their lifetime. 60.8% of female stalking victims and 43.5% men reported being stalked by a current or former intimate partner.
• On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
• Between 21-60% of victims of intimate partner violence lose their jobs due to reasons stemming from the abuse.
• 1 woman is killed by her partner once every 3 days.
• About 81% of victims of domestic violence are women.
• During the coronavirus pandemic:
• 3.1 % of all German women was involved in at least one form of physical conflict in the home, for instance being beaten. In 6.5 % of all households, children were subjected to corporal punishment.
• 32.4 % were aware of the domestic violence hotline and 2.7 % had called the number to find help.
• 5.5 % were aware of the "Codewort Maske 19" campaign, in which pharmacists contact the authorities when a customer uses a code word. 1.8 % had made use of this possibility.
• An estimated 1 in 6 (17%, or 1.6 million) women and 1 in 16 (6.1%, or 0.5 million) men had experienced physical or sexual violence from a current or previous cohabiting partner since the age of 15.
• In 2018, there were 142 family and domestic violence homicide and related offences. Of the 142 victims 53% were female and 24% were aged 0–19 (ABS 2019).
• 183 domestic homicide victims between 2016–17 and 2017–18.
• 1 woman was killed every 9 days and 1 man every 29 days by a partner between 2014–15 and 2015–16.
• 26,500 children aged 0–9 were assisted by specialist homelessness services due to domestic violence in 2017–18.
• 3% of all Australian children (159,000) received child protection services in 2017–18.
• 3 in 10 assault hospitalisations for people aged 15 and over were due to family and domestic violence.
• Indigenous people were 32 times as likely to be hospitalised for family violence as non-Indigenous people in 2016–17.
• 30 calls a day were made to elder abuse helplines across Australia in 2017–18.
• 242 deaths from domestic violence in just the first 7 months of 2020, 65.9 % of [reported] domestic violence cases in this period involved murders.
• 4 reported cases of domestic violence against women every day.
• 3 cases of domestic violence against children every day.
• Up to 94.9 % of people witnessing domestic violence decided not to intervene.
• 8 women per day, were maltreated or raped across the country from March 17 to May 23, 2020 ( since Covid-19 lockdowns began).
• 1 in 4 women aged 15-49 has experienced physical, emotional or sexual abuse by their partner or husband in 2017.
• Among children aged 13-<18 years, 13.7 % experienced overall sexual abuse in the home. About 3.2 % of children and youth experienced severe sexual violence (forced consummated sex) during childhood. The prevalence for males was 4.1 %, significantly higher than the 2.3 % among females. ( Unicef’s Study, 2016)
• Each year nearly 2 million people in the UK suffer some form of domestic abuse - 1.3 million female victims (8.2% of the population) and 600,000 male victims (4%).
• 7 women a month are killed by a current or former partner in England and Wales.
• 130,000 children live in homes where there is high-risk domestic abuse.
• 62% of children living with domestic abuse are directly harmed by the perpetrator of the abuse.
• 206,492 violence against the person have been reported between March and June 2020, a 9% increase compared with the same period in 2019.
• On average victims at high risk of serious harm or murder live with domestic abuse for 2-3 years before getting help.
• 85% of victims sought help five times on average from professionals in the year before they got effective help to stop the abuse.
• Domestic violence cases in Japan hit a record high of over 130,000 in 2020
• Of those that contacted domestic violence counseling and support centers, 37,044 people lived with children, with 60% of the cases, believed to have involved child abuse.
• A total of 14,974 cases of child abuse were reported in January 2020, up 22% from the same of period previous year. In March, cases jumped to 22,503, up 12% from a year earlier.
• 16.6% of males and 23.7% of females reported experiencing domestic violence; among these victims, 5.7% of males and 11.4% of females had life-threatening experiences. (CAO/GEB 2015a).
• 1 woman is killed by her husband or boyfriend every 6 hours South Africa.
• 50 % of women in Tanzania and 71 % of women in Ethiopia’s rural areas reported beatings or other forms of violence by husbands or other intimate partners in 2005.
• 47 % of all homicides in Kenya were related to domestic violence in 2003.
• 6 in 10 murder cases In Zimbabwe were related to domestic violence in 1998.
From 2020 DRiiBE is committed to supporting victims of domestic violence by donating part of its profits to shelters and organizations that help victims escape violence.
By purchasing DRiiBE products, you are not only buying a great product for yourself, but you are also helping other out of a difficult and dangerous situation.
Globally - https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/gsh/Booklet_5.pdf , https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/gsh/Booklet_5.pdf , https://capmh.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13034-020-00347-1
Switzerland - https://www.ebg.admin.ch/ebg/de/home/themen/haeusliche-gewalt/statistik.html
Usa - https://ncadv.org/STATISTICS ,
Germany - Federal Criminal Police Office (Bundeskriminalamt, BKA)
https://www.research-in-germany.org/news/2020/6/2020-06-03_Domestic_violence_during_the_coronavirus_pandemic.html , https://www.bmfsfj.de/blob/93906/9c0076fc66b1be6d0eb28258fe0aa569/frauenstudie-englisch-gewalt-gegen-frauen-data.pdf
Australia - https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-health/health-impacts-family-domestic-and-sexual-violence ,
Thailand - https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1966895/time-to-give-child-protection-a-boost ,
Philipines - https://pcw.gov.ph/violence-against-women/#:~:text=Violence%20against%20women%20(VAW)%20appears,by%20their%20husband%20or%20partner ,
Uk - https://safelives.org.uk/policy-evidence/about-domestic-abuse ,
Africa - https://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/july-2007/taking-violence-against-women-africa
Japan – https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/13/national/domestic-violence-cases-record-high/,http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13367418,